Applying pressure to her lower back while she labors in the birth tub with her partner
Birth Doula Support: Overview
Basic Package Includes:
- Two in-home Prenatal Meetings
- Support throughout entire active labor & birth
- Two hours Post Birth Support
- One in-home Postpartum Meeting
- Must be within a 30 mile/ 45 minute drive from my home in Pittsboro, NC
- $850 total fee
- Beyond 30 miles/ 45 minutes drive from my home there is an additional $50 for a total of $900
Birth Doula + TENS Unit Rental
Interested in using a TENS Unit like those used in England? (The English are known for their use of “Gas & Air” & TENS Units.) For my clients, I will supply the TENS Unit rental & your own reusable pads for $25, = $875/ $925 total.
Classes are Thursday evenings from 6:30-7:45 at Yoga Garden in Pittsboro, NC.
I also offer private in-home prenatal yoga classes for individuals or a small group of your pregnant friends! $45 per class.
Birth Doula Support: Details
Two Prenatal Visits:
- Two two-hour prenatal visits, preferably at your home, as it’s likely that I will come to your home during the beginning of active labor
- Help in researching & creating your Birth Plan, including evidence based information
- Discussion of pregnancy, birth, infant feeding & care related options, questions, thoughts, concerns & passions
- Getting to know your Birth Team (optional). Your Birth Team can include your partner, sister, mother, friend, etc, all/or none of the above. I will support & work with your team to help create your optimal birth experience
- Unlimited phone, text, email availability between the hours of 8am- 10pm until 38 weeks
- Beginning two weeks before your due date, until the baby(ies) is born, unlimited phone/ text/ email availability 24/7
- On call for you 24/7. I will come to you at your home, or to the hospital/ birth center once labor has started. Please allow for 1- 1.5 hours for my arrival, depending on how far apart we live
- My trusted backup Doulas (whom you can meet at one of our “meet the backups” meetings) will be available if, for some rare reason, I am unavailable at the time of your birth (ie: sick; or attending another birth)
- Unlimited phone, text, email support
- Support in your home, if you wish
- Knowledgeable, comforting, patient support
- Help in assessing the stages of labor– what is early labor vs active labor
- Suggestions on positions, comfort measures, distraction ideas, ways to keep labor progressing, gentle reminders to nourish, hydrate, & rest
- Active, compassionate listening
- Help in normalizing the birth process with explanations of what is happening
- Support for your birth partner, observing how s/he best supports you, suggestions for ways to help, explaining what is happening, creating confidence, & strengthening the bond between the two of you
Active Labor, Transition & Birth:
Active labor begins at 3 to 4 cm dilation. Contractions become consistently longer and stronger and are consistently closer together. At this point I’ll come to you wherever you are, and provide
all of the support I offer in early labor, plus
- Continuous physical & emotional support for Birthing Person & the Birth Team, both at your home, and at the hospital/ birth center.
- Suggestions for position changes to optimize the baby moving down efficiently
- While other nurses or doctors may change shifts, I will remain consistently present throughout, maintaining a continuous source of grounding, encouraging energy
- Reminders of your Birth Plan, help in keeping on that track
- Help in knowing when to ask questions about intervention options/ needs, & when to advocate for you
- Encouraging support for the Birth Team– helping them know how to be the best support they can be for you, as well as giving them a break to tend to their own needs, knowing you are still supported
- Massage, acupressure, counter-pressure, use of hot & cold compresses, water (tub or shower), going for a walk…
- Help in discovering & maintaining your birth rhythm
- Calming, soothing touch & talk
- Taking photographs with a camera you provide (optional)
- Any other assistance needed in achieving your optimal birth
Immediately Following Birth:
- I will remain at the birth site for two hours after birth to continue with comfort measures
- Ensure that breastfeeding is established (if that is your choice)
- Ensure that all is well & that everyone is settling in
- Take photographs, again with your camera (optional)
- and, of course, celebrate with you the birth of your babe(s)!
At Home Postpartum Visit:
At a mutually determined date , I will come to your home for a postpartum visit, to:
- Check in on breast/ bottle feeding
- Discuss & process your birth story
- Answer questions/ discuss infant care
- Connect you with any resources you feel would be helpful/ necessary
COST OF SERVICES
The total cost of my services listed above is $850. A deposit of $425 is due upon signing the contract to reserve your birth window on my calendar. The rest is due at 37 weeks.
If you live more than 30 miles and/or a 45 minute drive from my home, there is an additional driving fee of $50, bringing the cost to a total of $900.
If my attendance at labor & birth is greater than 30 hours, there is a $25/hour charge for each hour after the 30 hour point and ending at the time of birth, and not including the hours postpartum. Payable at the postpartum visit.
I rent TENS Units for your birthing time for $25. You’ll receive the TENS Unit at the second prenatal meeting so that you can begin using it during early labor. We’ll discuss proper use during our meeting so you’re ready when the day comes.
Check out my Availability Calendar to see if I’m available during your birthing window, two weeks before & two weeks after your estimated due date.
*I believe that every mother deserves a doula who wishes to have one. If the cost of my services is truly out of your price range, I am willing to work with you on a payment plan, sliding scale or possibly even a barter system. Please be in touch to discuss this in more depth. You may also consider asking for contributions toward doula services at your baby shower! What a great gift!
Gift certificates are available for a loved one/ friend/ co-worker. Because, does she really need that extra onsie or pair of baby booties? Nooo! She needs a Birth Doula! (I know, onsies & baby booties are fun, too.)